A very fine and rare 19th century English stoneware garden stamped J.M. Blashfield Stamford. Of campana form with unusual dolphin handles and stiff leaf design on the rim, this pieces typifies the high quality of work produced by Blashfield in what turned out to be a relatively short career.
Originally founded in London in 1850 the Blashfield Pottery Company relocated in 1854 to Stamford, Lincolnshire, to take advantage of lower cost labor in the area. It subsequently won numerous awards and medals at the International Exhibitions of 1862 and 1867 (Paris). However, by 1875 the firm had ceased operation.
Condition: Minor losses to the rim on the socle and general wear consistent with age and outdoor use.