A rare large early 20th century reconstituted stone bird bath/ fountain basin with the seated form of a faun serenading a small frog at his feet. Attributed to the Bromsgrove Guild. English. Circa: 1915
The Bromsgrove Guild was established in 1894 by Walter Gilbert in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire and initially specialized in decorative ironwork. (The gates outside Buckingham Palace were produced by the guild.) By the early 20th century the guild had expanded its production into works in lead, stone, stained glass and the decoration of interiors and gardens. While the designs of many of the other firms producing garden ornaments in the early 20th century focused on more classical forms, the Bromsgrove Guild designed garden ornaments that more closely reflected the art nouveau style of the day winning a Grand Prix medal at the Paris Exposition of 1900 and St. Louis in 1904.