Set of four English stoneware finials with bold swag garlands draped through rings, and obelisk form tops. Stamped: "Stiff & Sons". Circa: 1875
James Stiff founded his own firm in Lambeth, London in 1842 after initially working for the noted pottery companies of Coade and Doulton Lambeth. Although originally making stoneware pots and jugs, he quickly branched out into buff terra cotta vases, statuary and architectural items. In 1863 he brought his sons into the business changing the firm's name to James Stiff & Sons. After James Stiff's death in 1903 his sons operated the business until about 1913, when the firm was sold to and became part of Doulton Lambeth.