Pair of Estate Size Cast Stone Lions by Blaton-Aubert
These handsome late 19th century cast stone lions for many years flanked the entrance to a large house in Dilbeck, Belgium. Beautifully detailed and impressive in scale this model appears in a late 19th century catalog for the Brussels firm Blaton Aubert as "Lions Couches". Founded in 1865, on the Rue du Pavillon Blaton-Aubert was originally a construction firm specializing in architectural cast stone as well as a wide range of sculptures, fountains, urns, planters and other ornaments for parks and gardens, including a number of decorations for the Brussels Botanical Garden in the 1880’s. At the close of the 19th century as the use of reinforced concrete in construction began to spread, the firm’s focus shifted to large construction projects.